Call us: 1 819 849-2000
(EST office hours)
CALDWELL BIO FERMENTATION CANADA
Raw Cultured Vegetables, Juices and Starter Culture
Fully Loaded Tabouleh
with Fermented Carrots
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader here
Eastern Mediterranean cuisine boasts a tremendously large array of dishes that can easily accommodate the addition of fermented vegetables. Not to mention that fermented foods are already a large part of the regional diet. In this tabouleh recipe we add in buckwheat to the traditional bulgur wheat but feel free to make it with couscous as well. If you’re gluten intolerant, substitute the bulgur with quinoa or any other grain that suits you. Enjoy!
Serves 6 – 8
Prep & cook time: 60 minutes
- 1 200 ml pack Caldwell Sliced Carrots (or homemade sliced carrots produced with Caldwell’s starter culture)
- 1/2 cup measured uncooked bulgur wheat. When cooked should yield approx. 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup measured uncooked buckwheat. When cooked should yield approx. 1-1 1/4 cup
- 1 large bunch of flat leaf (Italian) parsley approx. 100 gr, finely chopped with stems
- 1 large ripe tomato cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1 sweet onion (Vidalia) cut into small pieces
- 400 gr chick peas
- 1 tsp each dried cumin and coriander powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Begin by cooking the grains according to the producer’s directions and allow to cool completely.
- Place the Caldwell Sliced Carrots in a colander to remove the excess brine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomato and the onion into small pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl. Continue by slicing the parsley into thin pieces and add it to the bowl as well.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients including the grain and chick peas and mix thoroughly ensuring an even distribution throughout.
This salad makes a complete meal but also suits as a side dish. Enjoy it with any flat bread of your choice or serve it along side grilled meat, poultry, fish, tofu, tempeh or seitan. It is also delicious served with a grilled portobello mushroom steak. Made in advance, this salad will last in the refrigerator for up to a week.
All of our products are certified
by the following organisations.
CONNECT WITH US
Caldwell Bio Fermentation Canada Inc.
Ste-Edwidge, Québec, Canada J0B 2R0
© 2017 Caldwell Bio Fermentation Canada Inc. | All rights reserved